Experienced, highly accomplished journalist and licensed attorney with excellent news judgment and a diverse background in the legal field. Superior interpersonal and public speaking skills with the ability to summarize relevant points in a concise, persuasive manner. Demonstrated success in cultivating and maintaining positive relationships with media and legal professionals. Keen ability to research complex matters and devise effective solutions.
Juris Doctor, UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA SCHOOL OF LAW – Athens, GA 2013
Winner and Best Oralist Award, 2011 Richard B. Russell Moot Court Competition
Finalist, 2012 Talmadge Moot Court Competition
UGA Moot Court Member, 2011-2013
Moderator of law school event featuring Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, 2012
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA – Athens, GA
Concentration in Broadcast News
Graduated magna cum laude
UNITED STATES HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES – Washington, DC
Nov 2015 – Jan 2016
• Coordinated all media efforts and communications for Congresswoman Maxine Waters (CA-43), a ranking member of the Committee on Financial Services.
• Drafted press releases, media advisories, speeches, and talking points for member.
• Pitched stories and responded to media inquiries from local and national press.
• Managed the congressional website, ensuring timely content.
• Drafted fact sheets and memos for the member in preparation for interviews.
SHEILA BUNN CAMPAIGN FOR DC COUNCIL WARD 8 – Washington, DC
Feb 2015 – Apr 2015
• Wrote Op-Ed concerning a proposed initiative aimed at combatting violence among young men in DC.
• Wrote content for weekly newsletters disseminated to supporters and potential voters.
• Attended campaign events and posted messages and photos on Twitter and Facebook concerning campaign.
• Canvassed Ward 8 communities with candidate and educated residents about candidate’s stance on issues and ideas for improving the Ward.
WCSC-TV – Charleston, SC
Feb 2014 – Nov 2014
Television News Anchor / Reporter
• Anchored weekend morning newscasts featuring national, state, and local political stories and reports.
• Researched and prepared news reports for evening newscasts.
• Developed story ideas and created media contacts consisting of local, state and federal officials.
• Completed comprehensive research to produce news feature stories.
• Wrote and generated news scripts.
• Represented station at cultural, civic, and business events to generate station exposure and increase community engagement.
YOUNG CLEMENT RIVERS LLP – Charleston, SC
May 2012 – Aug 2012; Sep 2013 – Feb 2014
Attorney | Sep 2013 – Feb 2014
• Acted as workers’ compensation defense attorney, performing in-depth research on South Carolina workers’ compensation law using LexisNexis and Westlaw legal software.
• Provided advice and counsel on statutes involving technical matters.
• Drafted and reviewed regulatory documents, such as policies, regulations, and guidance documentation.
• Represented law firm on several marketing trips across southeastern US and educated insurance adjusters regarding changes in South Carolina workers’ compensation law.
• Developed presentations as well as drafted appellant and respondent legal briefs.
• Attended depositions and mediations.
Law Clerk | May 2012 – Aug 2012
• Drafted memoranda of law.
• Wrote motions for summary judgment and motions to strike experts.
• Completed research on Workers’ Compensation, Business Litigation and Labor and Employment issues.
• Attended depositions and mediations.
UGA SCHOOL OF LAW SPECIAL EDUCATION PRACTICUM – Athens, GA
Jan 2012 – May 2012
• Conducted client interviews to assess problems impeding students’ educations and learning abilities.
• Attended Individualized Education Plan meetings to discuss accommodations and additional assistance students needed to succeed academically.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY COMMISSION – Atlanta, GA
Jul 2011 – Aug 2011
• Researched case law for pending EEOC complaints and drafted memoranda of law.
THE COCA-COLA COMPANY – Atlanta, GA
May 2011 – Jul 2011
• Drafted on-premise and vending contracts for schools and universities.
• Performed legal research and drafted memoranda of law.
• Provided advice and counsel on statutes and regulations involving matters affecting regulatory programs.
• Ensured that company’s employee policies adhered to new state legislation.
• Researched foreign corporation qualifications for mergers and acquisitions (M&As).
• Drafted and reviewed regulatory documents, talking points, and fact sheets for human resources managers and employees based on new state legislation.
• Collaborated with other interns to develop a final presentation concerning the acquisition of a company.
VIRGINIA COLLEGE – Augusta, GA
Jul 2009 – Jul 2010
Career Services Associate
• Conducted research pertaining to job availability and hiring needs.
• Generated job leads for students and planned career fairs featuring area employers.
• Screened students’ resumes, tracked career placements, and provided students with career counseling and guidance concerning their long-term goals.
• Served as point of contact for hiring needs of area medical employers.
• Networked with local medical associations and organizations to foster relationships for potential hiring opportunities. Built relationships with private sector and government employers.
• Conducted mock interviews, interview preparation seminars, and life skills and job readiness workshops.
• Conceived innovative ideas to place diverse candidates in the workplace.
• Facilitated a meeting with Georgia State Representative’s political staff to generate long-term hiring plans and strategies to increase employment opportunities for students.
IMARA WOMAN MAGAZINE – Columbia, SC
Jan 2008 – Aug 2010
• Researched and developed magazine article concepts addressing needs and interests of the magazine’s demographic.
• Conducted interviews and wrote articles on topics, including politics, health, education, and economics.
• Wrote a feature article on the newly elected President of the United State of America and South Carolina’s reaction to the election results.
WLTX-TV – Columbia, SC
May 2004 – Nov 2008
Television News Reporter / Anchor
• Anchored morning, noon, and evening newscasts on a fill-in basis.
• Created daily story ideas and established local, state, and federal legislative contacts.
• Conducted interview with Presidential candidate during the campaign cycle.
• Facilitated interviews with city leaders and state legislators as the City Government Reporter.
• Extensively covered the South Carolina Democratic Primary.
• Developed and maintained strong relationships with staff members of elected officials.
• Performed research to develop story leads concerning new legislation.
Member, South Carolina Bar